This Dream People Call Human Life

Monday, September 11, 2006

suddenly my life flashed before my eyes

So i had my first offical brush with death here in china. while walking to the post office, where my self study class is, i came quite close to getting hit by a car. it totally wasn't my fault though!!! call me crazy but i do believe that when it comes to side walks pedestrians definitly have the right of way!! You really have to stay on the ball when walking around in china...because before you know it some crazy old man is driving on the side walk.

My camera seems to have crapped out on me. UGH. it doesn't want to read the memory card. every time i turn the camera on it says " card not initialized" This makes me a sad sad panda.

So like i said before, i had my "self study' class today. There is a huge range of ability in the class. there are 2 students who have a very good speaking ability, but the class is just a big mish mash of skill level. on one end, i have a student who has been studying english for 10 years...then i have a student who's never had any formal english class, but has been working with a tutor who is chinese. I ended up using the black board quite a bit and occasionally had to have one the chinese students, a girl named sophie, translate what i was saying. One thing that is helpful is most of them handy little electronic dictionaries. So, when they don't understand a word if i write it down they all look it up and all the sudden you will hear them all go "ooooooohhhh" it's kind of adorable and amazing.

Most of the students today didn't have english names, and having them pick names is loads of fun. i basically wrote a bunch on the board and pronounced each one. i never told them to repeat the names, but as soon as i would read one the whole class would repeat it.
when i was writing the names on the board i thought it would be fun to list names of my friends and they actually picked some of them.
i totally have a karen, jackie, and a tony. i'll probably ahve to help more kids with names next week, maybe i'll end up with some more kids named after all you crazy kids back home.

well that's all for now. i promise when i have more time, i will upload pictures from penglai.

3 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Yvonne said...

Barbara, you're not allowed to die while you're in China. I'm sure many folks would agree!

Handy-dandy electronic dictionaries? I want one... and I hope that you didn't put my name on the board, only because it would make that girl's life difficult.

Well. Actually, it'd be kinda cool to have a Chinese Yvonne running around, but still. Yvonne is quite french and would be confusing.
Anyway.
What other names are there?

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...it's sad that once again my name is not applicable to anything. not zipper pulls, miniature license plates, tiny mugs, or chinese students studying english picking a western name.
man my parents are jerks.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl. i just emailed you, you be careful! that's really funny about the names. i miss you and i was so glad to hear from you.
love, marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home