This Dream People Call Human Life

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

the trials and tribulations of the internet in china

Oi.... i've been trying to make a post for the past few days but ever since the earthquake in taiwan the internet here has been insanely slow and next to impossible to view alot of pages. I feel bad that it's been so long so i've written here. I've just been a busy cookie. i'm definitly ready for finals to be over and holiday break to be in full swing. As soon as the internet isn't being so difficult i have loads of pictures from thanksgiving, Christmas, and new year's i want to post. i was definitly missing people from home over the hoildays but i've been lucky to find a really good group of friends here.

Unfortunately, another wave of people are heading off home though. one of them is ryan, who has been one of my best friends here. he leaves on Wednesday and i'm kinda heart broken to see him go. We hang out nearly every day together and now he's just not gonna be around. I'm, not the only one so sad to see him go though. Jack, Chrisbin, Grandpa Kim, and Harry Potter (yes i just typed harry potter), the Korean guys we 've been rolling with, are also pretty bummed about the whole thing. It just gonna be so different without him.
Natalia is leaving as well, and again things aren't gonna be the same without her. It's no fun saying good bye.

Christmas with my students was fun. I taught them Christmas carols, and impressed them with my snazzy advent calendar. One of my classes made me sing 'Let It Snow" 5 times. I treated myself to a christmas massage. *heaven*. Nate and i had a moment of braveness and had that crazy suctiony massage done where they heated up little glass bowls with a flame and then stick it to your back. After it was over we both looked like a giant squid had given us a bear hug.
Aparently you can tell how healthy you are by the color your crazy hickeys turn. Chrisbin and Grandpa Kim assured me mine looked good.

During the Christmasy season there were boys everywhere carrying GIANT stuffed animals around for their girlfriends. I thought it was hysterical....and then sure enough Jack showed up at my apartment with a HUGE teddy bear tied to his back. it's over half my height. amazing.
His family is coming to china to visit Jan 15th. they want to meet me. I am soooooo nervous. i want to make a good impression, which is a bit scary when i barely speak their language. Aparently though his Dad and Sister both speak english.

I have so many pictures i want to post but since the internet is being so cranky i could only manage one. Luckily it's a good one.


Natalia-Jack-Jess-Chrisbin-Ryan-Me-Grandpa Kim

2 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Elizabeth Porter said...

I missed your posts. Your new boy is HaWt :D.

I hope your hickies are flaming red.

I am knitting you fingerless gloves. That's right, KNITTING! I learned how to yesterday. I miss you more than I can say in a stupid comment box.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

earthquake in taiwan? goes to show how much news doens't travel. all they've been showing here is 24-hour news coverage of Gerald Ford's funeral for the past week or so. [but then again - this is michigan - i don't know whats going on in pa].

good to hear from you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home